Get the Facts
- Over 50 million Americans, ages 5-65 have physical or psychological disabilities.
- 23 million Americans have multiple disabilities
- 18.2% of our population have disabilities that restrict them from venturing from their homes without assistance
- Of the 3.4 million veterans with service connected disabilities, nearly 600,000 are disabled at 70% or greater
- Tennessee has an estimated 495,000 veterans, approximately 13,000 are 70% or greater disabled
- If only 10% of Tennessee's disabled veterans would benefit by use of a service dog, we would need 1300 dogs
- 1.5 million American children suffer from autism
- Autism rates are increasing at 10-17% annually
- Autism rates increased 1200% from 1987-2007
- Lifetime costs of caring for an autistic child is between $3.5 million and $5.0 million
Marine Veteran SGT. Bradley Walker with "Bella", his SMSD mobility assistance dog.
Recent graduates SGT. Robert Harris and mobility assistance service dog "Bearden", sponsored by the Bearden HS JROTC Cadet Corps.
Smoky Mountain Service Dogs "Tribute to Our Military"
"Friends", a Message From Our Dogs
Written by Mitch Townley specifically as Theme Song for Smoky Mountain Service Dogs
Each Smoky Mountain Service Dog puppy is hand selected by our trainers and the majority will come from reputable breeders. Appropriate shelter/rescue dogs may also be considered.
SMSD Bella/Dennis Tissot Training
Smoky Mountain Service Dogs now accepting Preliminary Applications.
In March, the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta reported that 1 in every 50 school children suffer from autism. That is more than 1 million U.S. School Children.
In January of this year NBC News reports that for the first 11 months of 2012, 177 active duty military personnel took their own lives. That is more than the 176 combat related fatalities. Army suicides have increased 54% since 2007 when 115 took their own lives.
For the latest in Autism News please see this link: www.TheAutismNews.com
Did You Know?
Over 50 million Americans, ages 5-65 have physical or psychological disabilities.
22 military veterans commit suicide daily, 7,744 annually
1 in 50 American children suffer from austism
It takes approximately 2 years, between $20,000 to $25,000 and 1200 hours of training to place a service dog.