Get the Facts
- Over 50 million Americans, ages 5-65 have physical or psychological disabilities.
- 23 million Americans have multiple disabilities
- 18.2% of our population have disabilities that restrict them from venturing from their homes without assistance
- Of the 3.4 million veterans with service connected disabilities, nearly 600,000 are disabled at 70% or greater
- Tennessee has an estimated 495,000 veterans, approximately 13,000 are 70% or greater disabled
- If only 10% of Tennessee's disabled veterans would benefit by use of a service dog, we would need 1300 dogs
SMSD has been awarded Gold Star Accreditation by Assistance Dogs International. This validates that the facilities and operation of the SMSD program meets or exceeds ADI standards.
SMSD has recently joined the R4 Alliance, a wonderful organization providing assistance to military families.
A Salute to Air Force Veteran Billy Marshall and his SMSD "Lucy"
"Friends", a Message From Our Dogs
Written by Mitch Townley specifically as Theme Song for Smoky Mountain Service Dogs
Smoky Mountain Service Dogs "Tribute to Our Military"
Each Smoky Mountain Service Dog puppy is hand selected by our trainers and the majority will come from reputable breeders. Appropriate shelter/rescue dogs may also be considered.
Volunteer Dennis Tissot Training Bella and Blitz
Smoky Mountain Service Dogs now accepting Preliminary Applications.